Here’s a small checklist on how you can keep your makeup pristine and clean without any hassles..
- Keep lids, caps, etc., tight and secure.
- Get rid of anything that looks or smells bad or seems otherwise funky.
- Store products out of sunlight in cool, dry places.
- Give your brushes a regular bath, cleansing them in gentle shampoo, or liquid soap and rinsing carefully at least weekly. Be careful not to soak brushes for too long, it can loosen glue.
- Don’t share your makeup. Ever.
- Toss products such as lipsticks and mascaras that you’ve worn during a period of illness.
- Write date of purchase on your products with a Sharpie-type marker.
- Don’t overspend on products with a shorter shelf-life (such as mascara.) The quality of drugstore cosmetics rivals that of many upscale offerings.
- Buy luxe items (such as pricey mascaras) or creams in travel sizes.
- Look for expiration dates on products containing sunscreen.
- Avoid anything packaged in jars.
- Always wash your hands before handling cosmetics (especially anything you apply by first sticking your digits into a jar.)
- Edit your inventory the same way you would your closets as you prepare for the change of seasons.
- Toss items you haven’t used in the last year.